Senior Trial Counsel in Murphy Pearson’s San Francisco office, Adrian has represented clients in a broad spectrum of areas, including business and commercial litigation, appellate services, personal injury, professional liability, attorney fee litigation, trust litigation, constitutional and civil rights claims, surety and fidelity bond actions, employment, administrative law, and actions arising under the Public Safety Officer Procedural Bill of Rights Acts.
In addition to his practice at the firm, Adrian provides mediation services. He has served as a Settlement Conference Officer at pre-trial and day-of-trial settlement conferences for the San Francisco Superior Court, as well as a panelist on the Sonoma County Superior Court’s Mediation Program.
Adrian served as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps, United States Army Reserve, where his assignments included appointment as General Counsel (Staff Judge Advocate) for an Army Reserve Division. During his service, he studied government standards of conduct and fiscal law at the Judge Advocate General’s Legal Center, Charlottesville, Virginia.
Published Appellate Decisions
- Morgado v. City and County of San Francisco., 13 Cal.App. 5th 1, Court of Appeals of California, First District, Division Four, June 27, 2017 – right of administrative appeal under the Public Safety Officers Procedural Bill of Rights Act.
- Vons Companies, Inc. v. Lyle Parks, Jr., Inc., 177 Cal.App.4th 823, California Court of Appeal, Second District, Division Eight, August 17, 2009 – liability for attorney fees and cost under assigned construction contracts.
- Parra v. City and County of San Francisco, 144 Cal.App.4th 977, California Court of Appeal, First District, Division Two, November 13, 2006 – clarification of the statute of limitations under the Public Safety Officers Procedural Bill of Rights Act.
- Regents of the University of California v. Superior Court, 41 Cal.App.4th 1040, California Court of Appeal, First District, Division One, January 10, 1996 – application of the primary assumption of risk doctrine to the sport of rock climbing.
- McCarthy v. Poulsen, 173 Cal.App.3d 1212, California Court of Appeal, Third District, November 1, 1985 – charitable trustee succession and the liability of receivers.
Unpublished Appellate Decisions
- Alonso v. Chahal, 2017 WL 5508205, California Court of Appeal, First District – enforceability of agreement to arbitrate employment-related claims.
- Berger v. Varum, 2015 WL 9412778, California Court of Appeal, First District – liability of building designers and engineers.
- Margaronis v. Tobin, 2013 WL 5806266, California Court of Appeal, First District – Application of anti-harassment injunction to members of family unit.
- Crane v. Clark, 2013 WL 5536205, California Court of Appeal, First District – use of requests for admission and expert testimony during trial.
- ADEM, LLC v. Grewal, 2009 WL 4941987, California Court of Appeal, Sixth District – application of strategic litigation against public participation (SLAPP) to attorney fee claim.
- Selvitella v. City of South San Francisco, 2011 U.S. App. LEXIS 6329, 425 Fed Appx. 544, 2011 WL 1113201, US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit – public employee’s right to discovery in administrative hearings.
- Carmignani v. Paganini (Carmignani II), 2010 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 8291, 2010 WL 4132611, California Court of Appeal, First District – attorneys fees and costs in real estate sales contract dispute.
- Carmignani v. Paganini (Carmignani I), 2007 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 7490, 2007 WL 2697312, California Court of Appeal, First District – non-disclosure in real estate sales contract.
- Reudy v. O.K. Investments, 2007 WL 1154053, California Court of Appeal, First District – standing under the Unfair Business Practices Act.
- Bowen v. Linuxcare, 2006 WL 2089916, California Court of Appeal, First District – enforceability of employee release agreement in sexual harassment action.
- Officers for Justice v. City and County of San Francisco, 1997 U.S. App. LEXIS 34846, 1997 WL 770387, US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit – application of the California Civil Rights Initiative.
- State Bar of California
- Committee on the Administration of Justice (1985 – 1988)
- Committee on the History of Law in California (1990 – 1992)
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- San Mateo County Bar Association
- University of San Francisco Law Society
- Board of Governors (2007 – 2015)
- St. Thomas More Society of San Francisco
- Past President (2011)
- San Francisco Marine Claim Agents Association
- Past President (1987)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (2007 – 2014)
- Judge Advocates Association (an ABA affiliate)
- Olympic Club of San Francisco
- Legal Committee (2012 – 2014)
- National Eagle Scout Association
- “Preparing and Opposing Petitions for Mandate or Prohibition,” Chapter 8, Appeals and Writs in Criminal Cases 3d (The Regents of University of California, 2007)
- “Civilian Workplace Protection for Members of the Uniformed Services,” co-author, Employee Relations Law Journal, Vol. 31, No. 4 (Aspen Publishers, 2006)
- “Mobilized Staffers Can Receive Payments If There Is No Ethical Conflict,” The Daily Journal, Vol. 111, No. 10, p.8, January 14, 2005
- “Mind Your Business: Make Sure You Honor the Rights of Employees in the Armed Services,” co-author, Silicon Valley Business Journal, April 16, 2003
- “Discovery” and “Discovery Practice,” Adjunct Professor, University of San Francisco School of Law, 2007 – present
- Guest speaker, “Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act,” Sonoma County Bar Association, Employment Law Section, 2003
- Seminar Panelist, “Construction Surety Bonds & Indemnification Agreements,” Women Construction Owners & Executives, 1987
- AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell (AV Preeminent is a
Certification Mark used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell®
certification procedures, standards and policies)
- Selected for inclusion in Northern California Super Lawyers magazine (2004 – present)
J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law, with honors
B.S., University of California (Davis), with highest honors
Cert., Health and Hospital Law, Seton Hall University School of Law
Cert., Mediation and Conflict Resolution, University of California (Berkeley Extension)