Thomas, a director in Murphy Pearson’s San Francisco office, concentrates his practice in the areas of white collar defense and government investigations, intellectual property litigation, and business litigation. He represents businesses and individuals in all phases of civil litigation, as well as advising professionals, executives, and businesses in civil and criminal proceedings involving California and Federal agencies. While in law school, Thomas was a judicial extern to the Honorable Laurel Beeler, Federal Magistrate Judge for the United States District Court, Northern District of California.
Thomas’ civil litigation experience focuses primarily on representing and defending professionals, executives, and businesses in complex civil litigation matters involving alleged torts, negligence, breach of fiduciary duties, fraud, trademark and copyright infringement, and professional malpractice in both state and federal courts.
White Collar and Government Investigations
Thomas has represented executives and professionals in matters before numerous governmental agencies, including the Securities and Exchange Commission, as well as in both civil and criminal matters and before the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and the State of California Department of Justice. He has represented bank executives in a wide range of federal and state civil and criminal matters, including investigations into bank’s sales practices, as well as securities and other corporate fraud offenses.
Intellectual Property Disputes
Representing clients ranging from startups to well-established companies in the wine and restaurant industries, Thomas’ experience focuses primarily on trademark and copyright matters. He helps companies preserve and protect their brands in the U.S. and internationally through the selection, clearance and prosecution of trademark applications, as well as licensing and related transactions. He has represented clients in federal court litigation, in disputes before the Trademark Trial & Appeal Board, and in arbitration proceedings involving domain names.
Thomas advises and assists in corporate formation, planning and risk management, restructuring, succession planning, dissolution, mergers and acquisitions and employment matters.
White Collar and Investigations
- Represented multiple bank executives in wide ranging federal and state investigations into the bank’s sales practices.
- Represented client during witness testimony provided in administrative law proceeding.
- Managed and designed document review of the millions of pages of documents and prepared clients for their interviews and depositions before these government agencies.
- Represented bank COO/CCO in criminal matter concerning securities fraud scheme and other corporate fraud offenses stemming from the failure of the bank.
- Represented attorney in criminal and related civil securities fraud matter.
- Represented witness loan and mortgage company in Department of Justice investigation and asset forfeiture proceedings.
- Represented private investment management firms in Department of Justice investigation into financing of tech company serving the cannabis industry.
- Represented individual in alleged insider trading investigation.
- Represented financial services and digital payments company senior risk officer with respect to an investigation by CFPB.
- Represented the Chief Financial Officer / Treasurer of a major tech company regarding a SEC stock options investigation.
- Represented real estate management company in California False Claims Act and wrongful termination litigation.
- Represented escrow company in alleged real estate negligence and fraud action.
- Represented property management company in alleged wrongful death action.
- Represented financial services brokerage firm in complex fraud action.
- Represented contractors and subcontractors in construction defect matters.
- Represented law firms and attorneys in legal malpractice actions.
- Represented national wine producer in trademark infringement matter.
- Represented restaurants and diners in trademark infringement matters.
- Represented restaurant in Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit appeal of court order in trademark matter.
- St. Thomas More Society
- Lehigh Lawyer’s Association
- Lehigh Rowing Partnership
J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law
B. A., Lehigh University, History; Minor in Engineering